Saturday, September 06, 2008

Raleigh Technium 480 Project

While we were up north for our wedding I on stumbled onto my next project. Someone posted up on mmba that they were looking for a older road bike, size 56cm. One of the responses was from someone who had a old Raleigh Technium 480 that was about a 60cm. I have been looking for a older road bike to make into a fixed gear/single speed for some time. My teammate Kyle had a older Bianchi that I was going to get from him, but that hasnt worked out yet. So for $50 dollars I am now the proud owner of a bike that was made when I was 12.

The bike is in really good shape, just a few scratches in the paint, the wheels are even true.
The color is very 80`s, mauve and white.
These bikes are a bonded aluminum and steel mix, glued at the at the head tubes lugs, and bottom bracket. It is a pretty light bike for it`s day.
I am thinking about building it up with white wheels, white Toupe saddle and white bar tape. I think I might pick up a Chris King Gripnut headset as well, but I am not sure the color.
The bike will need some work for sure. The headset feels ok, but the bottom bracket needs to be re-built.
I am going to get a set of wheels that have a flip flop hub so I can run the bike fixed/free. I think that will be the best setup, for the riding that I am going to be doing.

Here are some more pictures of the bike. I want to update my blog as I get new parts on the bike so look for more updates soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So, how much do you think an original, near perfect condition Raleigh Technium 480 would be worth?

I am shopping for a new bike, and I love this one. If you could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it! :D Thank you!

Curt said...

I have seen them go on ebay for close $100 or maybe a bit more.

Unknown said...

Someone is selling basically the same bike you pictured, but in near perfect condition. Do you think it is worth $225? That's how much he's charging me. It seems a bit high, but I love the bike.

I appreciate your help!!! I want to make sure I'm spending my last bit of money on the right bike, lol.

Christina

Curt said...

That kind of seems like a lot for a older bike. If it was one of the more sort after models, then $225 wouldnt be bad, but I think these are a fairly run of the mill bike. You have to be careful with them also since they are bonded frames, i.e. glued at the head tube and bottom bracket. Some times the glue didnt always hold up to the years so well.