Monday, August 28, 2006

Fort Custer TT Race


Well I made the long drive out to the Fort Custer TT this past weekend. The day started out with a pretty steady rain most of the way over. As we got closer to the park the rain stopped, but the skies stayed gray. I have never ridden the course before, but from what I was told, it was going to be a fun course. The turn out for the race was pretty low, which I was kind of surprised by, but I figured had better chances to place. The race started out pretty good. For never riding the course before I moving pretty fast through the course and I was feeling pretty good. The course had a lot of sand that was packed down from all the rain, the logs and roots were a little slick though. The trenches is a really cool section of the trail. It is like a flat switch back section that if you pick a good line you can fly through. So all was going good until I hit about mile 11. I come through a sandy downhill turn and I hear something rubbing. Well I broke a spoke on my back wheel. I have been breaking spokes for 2 years now on my singlespeed, so I finally broke down and bought a new wheel. Now it has spread to my new wheels I bought for my Klein. So I stop, and decide not to try and true the wheel. I figure it is only about a mile and half to finish line, I should be able to ride that faster than fixing the the wheel. Well aparently I had some bad info, the race was closer to 15 miles long. So everyone that I passed earlier in the race passed me and I got last place. Figures I was feeling good and riding fast, and I get a mechcanical.
Oh well. The next race is the stony creek xc race which I plan to do on my single speed. Hopefully I can do better than last year when I bonked hard and finished 15 minutes behind the next guy.

No comments: