Sunday, October 29, 2006

Veterans Park CX Race #5


The 5th Tailwind Cyclcross race was held at Veterans Park in Ann Arbor today. This course is known for all the elevation change and typically a large field of racers. Today was no exception! With the sun shining and a strong wind to welcome us, it was a nice break from all the rain. Of course it was cold in the morning, but the sunshine felt really nice on the black spandex. We had four of us from Team Sandbag starting the C race. A record turnout!!
The course was really muddy in sections from all the rain we got yesterday. Only one barrier section was set up on the course out in flats between the baseball diamonds. But there were enough run ups on the steep hills to make up for it.

The race started and once again, even though, I had a better start position I still got boxed in by slower riders. By the time I got through the first little climb I knew I had to get around these guys. I put hammer down on the second hill and got around some of the traffic. Into the barriers into the hilly part of the course.

On the first short little hill I got stuck behind a couple of guys pushing the bike. I stayed with them until the steep little pavement climb and sprinted up that hill and around them both. This part of the course was tricky with a sharp turn and a long run up. I found in my warm up rides it was better to run this hill all the way to top and not try to get back on to soon. We then hit a flat part of the course that came down along maple road. From there there was another big hill climb which I choose to run and rode the flats back to the finish line. 10:00 roughly was my first lap.
The second lap I rode with two flying rhino riders the entire time. I apparently backed off my pace a little and had a 10:18.
The final lap I got around those two riders just after the finish line on the paved hill. I kept up the pressure and by the time we hit the barriers I had a nice little lead on them. I rode this lap all alone, so there was no getting off the bike in spots due to traffic. I hammered the last hill and got across the line in 9:45.
I ended up in 8th place. Not the 5th place that I was hoping for, but I am seeing a lot of improvements. On 2 of my 3 laps my re-mounts didnt have any little studder steps which I think is a first. Also the hill running that I have been doing seems to be helping.
Next week is the Iceman! Hopefully the gains that I have seen so far this CX season carry over to it as well..

No comments: