Monday, September 18, 2006

Highland Park CX Race



Click for Pictures
My first CX race of the season was this last weekend at Highland Park in Grand Rapids. This was the first race of the kisscross race series as well. I have never done a kisscross race before so I figured that I would give it a try. The rest of the races conflict with the tailwind series.
The course was a 1.3 mile loop that had two sections of barriers. The first set was a triple set up and the next was a single at the bottom of a huge hill run up. There was a small amount of pavement and a couple of loose climbs. The course was really soft in spots from all the rain that we have had in the last few weeks. This series only has a A and a B race both of which are longer than any CX race I have ever done before.


We got to the race pretty earlier this time and I was able to get a few warm up laps in. On my second warm up lap I was watching my hrm and I saw my highest reading of the year. And this was an easy lap just to get the legs going!
We were told that the race was going to be 7 laps as we were getting ready to start. With that we started out in the parking lot and hit the grass. The first lap I took it kind of easy and just sat on with a few guys. We hit the run up and I tried to push it pretty hard up the hill. This is were I broke my record for my highest heart rate also.
The next 6 laps I just concentrated on getting up that run up and pushing it on the flats as much as I could.
At about the 30 minute mark I was wishing that this was a C race and being able to finish instead of having to do 2 more laps. They went by pretty quickly and the next thing I knew the race was over.
My lap times were pretty consistent. I was doing about 7:30 laps. I felt pretty good for the first race of the year, but am amazed I could push my hr so high. I saw it really high on two different laps so it would leave me to believe that it was not a glitch.

Next up is the season opener for tailwind at springfield oaks. Two days of racing, and a ride through a horse barn. How cool is that going to be!

No comments: