Sunday, September 24, 2006

Springfield Oaks CX race 1



The first of the tailwind CX races kicked off on saturday. The weather was warm, but it rained the night before and was gray all day. The morning started out good, I woke up on time and got going a little later than I wanted to, but not too bad. Not knowing how long it would take to get there and not really knowing where I was going got me up early in the morning. Well one problem. For some reason I was thinking that the race started at 10:30. I pulled up about 9:20 and thinking that I had an hour before the race I was just taking my time. Well it actually started at 10:00! I was on my first warmup lap and I heard the call for all the C racers to line up. So I cut the course and hurried back to the start line. A swallow of HEED and the bottle back in the cage and the whistle went.
The first lap I was looking for the best line through the course. There was a lot off camber sections and the grass wet with a few big mud pits. The off camber sections were tough after a few laps of getting chewed up by all the racers. The barrier section was a flat part of the course, but the grass was really wet and slippery so I took it easy the first few times. The next one was an up hill just after getting out of the horse barn. It wasnt too bad to run up it.
Every lap the course conditions got worse. A section you could ride the first couple laps turned into run ups. All the flat sections were flooded and all the uphills were muddy and slippery.
The race worked out to be 5 laps. On the last lap near the end someone caught up with me. I figured I had to drop him quick. I wasnt sure where he came from all I knew is that he was there and the last time I looked there was no one. Coming down from the second barrier section it was a short downhill and sweeping left turn and then a slight up hill to the finish. I just cranked as hard as I could and wound up in 11th place.

What a great way to start off the season with some real cross weather. Last year there was nothing like that. The weather was really nice. Of course the hour and half of cleaning up my bike made me wish for some of those nicer days. I was hoping it would dry out for sundays race, but I didnt get so lucky...

No comments: