Monday, November 19, 2007

Iceman 07

I dont really know what to say about the Iceman this year. The whole weekend was a rush, changed plans etc... On the plus side I got in engaged on saturday after the race, but downside was that I thought I broke some ribs and separated my shoulder. The race started out bad for me, I dont know if it was the lack of sleep, hydration or what. But pretty much right from the start my legs felt tight, and never really recovered. I remember one of the first little hills, and my legs were just screaming, I didnt know how I was going to go another 20 miles, with a lot hills at the end of the course.



I got a good start there were over 100 people my group, so we lined up on the line and gave it a pretty hard sprint.

I was able to hold up a decent pace for about 7 miles, but I could not get my heart rate to come down. Eventually I just backed off the pace, and spun all the hills. I had to walk a couple, mostly because of traffic, one because I just needed to walk it. I crashed once in the sand, it was either that or plow into a slow rider in front of me. I made all the hills at the end, and was got tangled up with one of my teammates at the end in the sprint. I ended up going into the fence in what was I am sure a very spectacular crash, judging by the sound of the crowd and the applause I got just for getting up and back on the bike. I really thought I had broken some ribs, which I guess I didnt. The soreness went away that night, but my shoulder was quite sore for a few days after the race. My seat got all messed, my gps cracked, and I was finally over the line in about 2:24. Still faster than last year by a few minutes, but no where near my goal.
I had planned on popping the question on friday, but noelle got stuck working that day. So the next idea was going to be after the race, but I was no shape to do much of anything. So we just went back to the condo and everyone else went back to the race, and I just asked to her right then. That was by far the highlight of my weekend. We had everyone over from the team for a after race party, so it was fun to share news with a bunch of friends.

You can order your own copy of the video from mike:
http://www.mashersmedia.com/

2 comments:

Gledwood said...

Great stuff!!

;->...

Brad said...

Congrats on your engagement!