Monday, November 05, 2007

Vets Park Double Header

What a great place to do a double weekend. Veterans park has to be one of the best cross venues around, lots of elevation, some flats, off camber sections, really the possibilities are endless.
The weather was much more cross like also, at least for the lowly C race`s which I did.
Saturday the course was set up with really steep run up, some other steep climbs behind the pavilion.

















Sunday the course was set up in the opposite direction, for the most part. The steep run up from Saturday was a steep downhill, and the area behind the pavilion was a downhill as well. I really like the setup on Sunday, I felt it was a more technical course, than Saturday.
I didn't really know what to expect this weekend. I was sick with a sinus infection starting last week Saturday. I stayed home from work on Monday, and only worked a 1/2 day on Tuesday. Pretty much all I did was sleep, even later in the week. I got out on Friday for a easy hour ride, but I was pretty tired by time I got done.
Saturdays race I was really feeling the lack of riding, and effects of being sick. The run up was my biggest problem, it was the only place I got passed. I never really felt like I could make up any ground or hang with any of the guys that passed me. I ended up in 10th, not really what I was looking for, but all things considered I guess not too bad.
Sunday I was pretty sore from Saturdays race, and it was another cold morning. The lungs were really feeling the cold, and the legs were feeling the results of Saturday. The race started really bad for me. I lined up second row, big mistake, behind someone that turned out to be quite slow off the line. I don't know how many guys passed me, but it was a lot. My legs were burning by the time we hit the first little hill and I was not expecting to have a good day. I was able to move to front of the group that I was riding with though, and stayed with them for about 1/2 the lap. Soon as we hit the second flat though I just hammered it. I was able get away from my group and I was feeling pretty good. I rode the rest of the first lap with a rhino and decided to attack him also. It worked and, I was working up towards the next two guys. I rode with them for a while, not really sure how long, and tried to attack a couple of times with no luck. Finally it worked and dropped one of the guys. I kept pushing and I was by myself with a nice little gap. I caught some lapped traffic on the last lap, and wasnt really sure who was and wasnt racing against me. I just kept pushing and was able to ride in for 7th place. Needless to say I was pretty happy with results.
This race I actually started to feel like I did at lower huron. I just wonder how much better I could of done if I wouldn't of got sick last week. Oh well it was a fun weekend, and even coming in dead last at cross makes for a much better weekend than not racing.

No comments: