Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pyrenees to my door

Today is a big day, a new member of the family has arrived. All the way from the Pyrenees, my new cross bike is here. It is an 2006 Orbea Ciclocross. This is my second Orbea that I own. I have a 2003 Lobular Starstarship road bike, that is just plan fast.
The Ciclocross is a very nice looking bike in the Euskaltel Euskadi colors. Nothing else screams Orbea like these colors do. I ended up with a 60 cm frame. The 57 was just a bit too small, and not much of a size increase over my JTS.
I rode the 55 cm bike just to get a feel for the frame. This bike feels really fast. The lobular tubing is supposed to help smooth out some of the vertical shock while staying horizontally stiff.

The down tube has a interesting shape to it. It flattens out at the bottom bracket.
I am still trying to figure out how to build this bike up. For the time being I am pulling all the parts of my road bike and putting them on here. By the time that cross season rolls around I should be pretty comfortable on the bike and will have it built up how I want it. I am going to put it on a scale tomorrow and see how much the frame and fork weighs, and then again after the final build up.
I can not wait to get out and give it a try.



3 comments:

jbhancock said...

Nice frame! It'll look good racing in Ithaca next fall...!! Will you be in the B's?

Curt said...

I raced C all all last season. I am going to train like crazy this summer to be competitive (I hope) in the B`s.

jbhancock said...

Well good luck with the training...after taking 5 years off I was amazed at how fast the B's were compared with when I raced them as a junior. That new bike should help though!!