Monday, March 16, 2009

Tour de Cure

My wife Noelle signed up for the tour de cure again this year. She signed up for the 25 mile route. This will be the longest ride she has ever done. I am going to do it as well.
I have been living with diabetes for the last 10 years and on insulin for about 6 years. There have been up and downs but luckily I have a great wife and lots family support. Biking has changed my life for the better as well. Living with diabetes your life revolves around food, testing yourself and taking insulin. Exercise helps to lower blood sugar but introduces challenges as well. But once again it is about food, testing yourself and taking insulin.
My daily routine is wake up test, eat breakfast, 2 hours later test, test, eat lunch, test, test, eat dinner, test. You do start to feel like a pin cushion after a while, but you get used it. Luckily I have good insurance and can afford an insulin pump. It really makes a huge difference in my daily life. Instead of having to take multiple shots a day, I can just put a new infusion set in every 3 days. This allows me to fine tune my insulin intake similar to what my pancreas should be doing. But it is a balancing act that doesnt take much to upset. I try to do my best to keep it in control, somedays you can do everything you are supposed to but it is all out of wack, other days everything is perfect. Overall I feel that the disease has made me more healthy in many ways.

Hopefully a cure isnt too far off. The more money that is raised the closer we get. One thing I am grateful for, is that I didnt get the disease until I was in my 20`s. I feel so bad for all the kids out there with this disease that dont get the chance to have a "normal" childhood. So if you can donate $5 or $50 (click the link on the right) I just want to thank you for making a difference in my life and everyone with this disease.

1 comment:

SingleTrackMinded said...

Jackie and I will be riding along side you guys for this one. Looking forward to it.