Saturday, January 24, 2009

My lucky Seven

This all started in the spring of 08 bike demo at Island Lake. I rode a few different bikes, but the one that stood out was the Racer X 29er Ti. Out of all the bikes I rode that day, it just felt like I was flying on the trail. So for my wedding present I could order any bike that I wanted, but it was going to be my last bike for a while. No question it was the Racer X. So after our wedding in August I went in for a couple of fittings at Ride Boutique in Ann Arbor. We settled on a fit and geometry and I put my deposit on a 29er racer x Ti frame. I have been fitted 2 other times, at others shops over the years, and each of them have told me I needed a bike with a longer top tube. So here is my chance to get a custom bike that fits me the way a bike should instead of me trying to fit the bike.
After 5 months of waiting, I pulled the plug on the Racer X. I must say I was very disappointed with the customer service from Titus. My frame since it was bigger than a normal bike, needed a different down tube than what they normally stock. Every couple of weeks since about the end of October I would call the shop and the story would be the same, still no word on when the tube would come in. All the tubes were cut, except the one they were waiting for. Being that my leg was injured all summer and it was the end of the cross season, I was in no big rush to get the frame. By December I was really hoping that some progress was being made on it, but nothing. We asked Titus if they could build the bike with different tubing that they had in stock that would accomplish the same goal with the frame. They checked and said yes we can do that, but if we do you will be put back at the beginning of the list just like a new order. So I decided to just wait it out a bit longer and we told them whichever way was faster, lets go that route. Couple more weeks pass, and still no progress, and no idea when it will be done. It annoyed me that I am going to be paying a lot of money for this frame and they cant help me out at all. So I had enough, and canceled the order.
I of course had another option thanks to Chad at the shop. First we looked at the viscious groover which uses the racer x suspension design. However they wouldnt build it in Ti, only steel and I really wanted a Ti bike. The next option was a Seven.
The first option from them was a duo lux. They are not making the frame for 2009, they are going to a dw link bike instead, but they had enough parts/tubing to put one more frame together as a favor to the shop. After some serious thought I decided I rather wait to get the dw link bike or look at another option. Way back when I first started looking at all of these bike the Seven IMX was my runner up to the Racer x. The question I was struggling with was going back to a hard tail. I have been riding a FS bike for the last 4 or 5 years. The IMX is a race bike, light, fast and sexy. It just so happened that Chad has a IMX as his personal bike and he let me use it. I couldnt get it out on the trails, but it rode really nice on the dirt roads. So I made up my mind after stressing out about it for a few days and put the IMX on order. The day after the order was placed I had a phone interview with seven. A week later my frame was done and ready to be shipped. What a night and day difference it was dealing with Seven vs. Titus. Seven even stepped up and moved my order to the front of the list which they didnt have to do, which was really awesome. Finally the customer service and philosphy I was looking for in a custom bike.
So far I have just ridden it around the block, but it feels really nice. I expect it to weigh in some where under 25lbs.
Thanks Chad at Ride Boutique and thanks Seven, I cant wait for the stupid snow to melt and ride it on the trails.














6 comments:

TP said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

cjsbike said...

Lusty!

I love it!

-Chad (Up North)

cjsbike said...

SEXY!

Get out and ride her!

-Chad (Up North)

Todd Shorkey said...

Curt, What a story and journey! It looks like it all worked out in the end though. This is one sweet looking bike! Congrats on the new ride! Here is looking forward to some good riding weather.....

jbhancock said...

WOW!

cjsbike said...

Did I say that thing rocks!